Saturday, July 07, 2007

Let the tour begin!

Today starts the 'tour de fleece'. the object is to try to spin something or do something spinning related every day that the riders of the tour de france ride. There is the notion of having a plan, if you like, or a challenge, of some sort during the tour. My plan is to a) try to spin every day, or do something spinning related; b) finish the spinning already started: the wool/silk, the romney fleece, and a 5 lb box of mixed colors shetland from StoneHaven Farms in Oregon.

Sooooo....for today, I washed some romney, two pan-fulls of which you can see one here in my not clear picture. The bobbins are included to show what the blended color looks like and that I need to finish the 2nd bobbin so that I can ply. Two bobbins, spun fine will get me about 200yds of a 2ply that gets 5 or 6 stitches to the inch on size 5US needles. Not too bad for a beginner.


This picture is of a batt that got shuffled to the side during finals week, back in May. This is silk and wool blend that I purchased from Carolina Homespun by Crosspatch Creations.



This last picture, for today, is of Thermal, from the Spring '07 Knitty, This was my sanity knitting during the last month of school and finals. I finished knitting the pieces, but never assembled them, and I still haven't put on the buttons. I did alter the fit some, I made the body a slight bit shorter and made the sleeves 3/4 length. Here in sunny central California, we generally don't need full coverage in the winter. Mind you, I know that I will be eating those words, sometime this coming winter or the next.

No comments: